St Matthew's Lutheran - Beaverton, OFBVisit Our Website
Energy Cookies Received
St Matthew's Lutheran - Beaverton, OFB supports 40 households every week!
They could use 40 sandwich loaves and 20 Energy Cookies with each donation!
- Deliver 5-7 days worth of nutritious food and basic household items tailored to meet specific dietary needs of low-income residents referred by Care to Share (CTS) or Oregon Food Bank (OFB). Delivery services are intended for those who are elderly, ill, disabled or without transportation.
- Operate "shopping-style" pantries that provide 5-7 days worth of a variety of nutritious food choices as well as basic household items for referred families.
- Provide traditional Christmas food baskets and gifts to economically disadvantaged families in Beaverton and surrounding areas.
About Our Pantry
- The SMLC pantry is the longest-running emergency food organization in eastern Washington County, predating even OFB. In December 1974, two St. Matthew families collected food and gifts for distribution to 16 families at Christmastime, and a ministry was born. The program was originally housed in members'''' basements and garages, but, to meet the growing needs of the community, the current pantry building was constructed in 1982. In the early years, SMLC pantry provided emergency food via home deliveries. In 2002, it was determined that more families could be better served by adding a pantry-style operation, where clients could come to our facility to "shop" for food. In 2003, Meyer Memorial Trust awarded funding to install running water and a restroom in our building to make it suitable for public access. In 2010-2011, SMLC pantry expanded the food warehouse and is able to serve more families by adding an additional weekly pantry. SCAT has served approximately 30,000 families throughout its history.
- SMLC pantry is operated by volunteers. More than 100 regular volunteers from St. Matthew Lutheran Church are regular members of the team, supplemented by St. Matthew youth, confirmation students, Boy Scouts, Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) moms, and additional members of the St. Matthew congregation during the holidays and when special needs arise. In addition, volunteers from our partner churches, Spirit of Grace at Mission of the Atonement, St. Andrew Lutheran Church, and Valley Community Presbyterian help staff our pantries and contribute food and funding for our ministry. During the Christmas Basket Program, additional community groups and local businesses provide donations of food and volunteer hours. We supplement summer pantries and deliveries with fresh produce grown in our community gardens, and many other individuals and groups share their garden bounty with us. These generous donations allow us to increase the number of people we serve and help reduce our budgeted food costs. SMLC pantry is managed by a core Leadership Team, all of whom participate in pantries, shelving, deliveries or delivery preparation.
- Curbside Pickup
- Food Drives
- Packs for Kids